What is Magento?
What is Magento
Those of us in this world, every day, we talk about software, scripts, of «ce em onths» of «opensources» and many other buzzwords rare than the rest of the world are sounding Chinese.So to bring a little more our «strange» slang everyone, today we come to explain a little better what is Magento.
What is Magento? You may wonder. What are you telling me?
Magento is a web application for eCommerce , based on the philosophy of free software, that … Okay, better start again. Let’s start cataloging «Magento» as a system of «online store» or «shop online «. Now it?
If we want to mount our own internet business , a good solution is undoubtedly Magento.
Magento is a [def] CMS [/ def] that allows us to manage our store very comfortably. Being a CMS, you are ready to work as a shop from the time that remains installed on our web server, so you do not have to hire a team of developers to design and schedule a store from scratch. With Magento, or other software solutions «[def] eCommerce [/ def]», your development team will take very little time to install your new shop and it starts working, which involves two direct benefits to you: less time expected, and less development costs. You just have to invest time in the layout of the store (the design, colors, positions, etc..) And adding more features thanks to external modules or «plugins».
It has two distinct parts, like all CMS : the [def] Front end [/ def], which is the part where our members can view and purchase our products, and the [def] Back end [/ def], where manage products, prices, stock, suppliers …
Magento is comfortable for everyone involved in your website:
- For the client : Depending on the configuration of the system, the customer can see, at first, the featured products in the store. Once you take a quick look around, it should not be difficult to find a menu in which the products are grouped into different categories and subcategories, and also a product finder. Once added to the shopping cart the products concerned, the customer will be logged in the system (or accessed with your user account, if not new), and make the purchase.
- For the developer : Due to the internal configuration of Magento, develop new modules and appearances for your system is not too complicated, but always depends on how we want our end store in design and functionality. It relies heavily on xml files and directory paths very structured.
- From the Back End can manage everything, including statistics show us our store.For you : As a store manager, you have a lot to think about: Products, Suppliers, Customers, Orders, Cast, Tax, Discount Coupons, Offers … And so on. Magento helps you easily manage all this from your admin panel, from where you can add new products, specific offers, adding data from suppliers, our customers manage, check and prepare our orders, set tax rates and expenditures Shipping, create coupons …
And all this is free?
Let Parts. The application, Magento is free. If you have computer skills, Magento really is simple to install and configure. But, if you’re reading this, you probably do not. In that case it is best to trust professionals to prepare us our new online store.
We take this opportunity to remind you that we are specialized in Codigonexo store management with Magento, installation, maintenance and development of extra features. You can ask us for a quote.
Picking up the thread, but the program is free, it is true that Magento as an organization offers payment options system, which usually include web hosting and direct service Magento. Magento versions are three, and we can see the differences on this page (in English): Comparison between Magento versions (the free one is the Community Edition).
It is worth knowing eCommerce software alternatives. I’m not trying to convince which system is better or which system is worse, I think that is well know them all and want to choose which solution to our online store. That is why we must know also other [def] CMS [/ def] oriented [def] eCommerce [/ def], so we can find information about them:
- Prestashop : Possibly the strongest alternative to Magento, Prestashop is another [def] CMS [/ def] Free dedicated to electronic commerce is going strong in the market. Now in its day write an entry comparing the two systems: Magento vs. Prestashop .
- Shopify : another system dedicated to eCommerce, but this time, it is not free. The employable package prices between 29 and 179 dollars a month, and as you can imagine, only the face is option that offers more advantages. The others have limits on the number of products to be stored in disk space, and Shopify stays between 1 and 2% of the transactions. Yes, the installation and hosting is up to them, and we offer a free 14-day trial.
- osCommerce : another free system that you can install on your hosting, which is slowly gaining momentum.
- Other CMS : CMS can extend other plugins to turn them into shops, but never reach the level of management of Magento. WordPress can be a great store with the appropriate plugins, and there VirtueMart Joomla.
- Integration : Unity is strength. You can always choose to have a web page into another CMS such as Joomla or WordPress, and integrate a Magento store.
We hope you have been more clear idea about «What is Magento». If you have doubts, you can ask whatever you want in the comments, and if you need advice with creating and running a Magento store, you can contact us from the page of Contact , without compromise.
«Do not use your hands to do things that can
be done efficiently with a computer »
– Tom Duff